Monday, April 16, 2007

First Visit to Duke


Saw the Duke Cathedral this morning. Took a photo on a windy day, 50mph gusts in fact.


Then I headed over to meet a few people to sign paperwork and things. Turns out I can see Lori's building from my boss' office window, so I took a picture.

Then I see something interesting, a reminder that this campus is not as nice as people might think. Take a closer look and everything becomes clear. A sign of the wind, but there are little signs like this everyday, even in good weather. I should have warned this lady not to walk on the grass.



The campus is okay, everything is under construction, the roads are in terrible shape, and parking is horrible. You would think that at least two out of three of these problems would be fixed in a wealthy campus. Lori and I walked right by the Cameron Indoor stadium (where the "famous" basketball team plays) on our way to her lab, interestingly quiet. UC Davis is equally nice in my opinion. After dropping Lori off at her work I headed off to the library to see what kind of campus maps I could find, and hopefully find a wireless internet connection. After a couple of hours figuring things out at the library I was able to meet up with the people I was supposed to meet, which is when the porta-potty hilarity ensued. The entrance to this building I was in smelled like urinal cakes.

1 comment:

Marcia Carter said...

I know I shouldn't ask: What's a didjeridoo?

Maum