Thursday, September 6, 2007

Seattle Conference!

I am at a mini conference in Seattle. I'll be back in Durham on Friday. My boss and I left Tuesday (I left at 6am and his flight at 7am) but we arrived here in Seattle within 10 mins of each other. Next was a 2 hour car ride to the ferry departure point. We tried to take the ferry but got here too late so we had to wait 2 hours for the next one. Here are several photos of the ferry system.




They even loaded an eighteen wheeler on the ferry. Cool.

Here is the ferry dock at Fox Island, our only stopping point on the way to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island.

At the Fox Harbor dock there was a massive bumper pier designed to keep the ferry from running astray. Here is a game that was on the concrete slab topping the pier.

The objective of the game was to throw small coins from the ferry and try and land them in the old car rim. I imagine someone collects the money occasionally because I estimated there was about 100 dollars total between the four piers.

We finally got in around 7pm. We had a quick dinner because they were shutting down the cafeteria and then we went to our respective bunks. I am rooming with two grad students named Chris and Brandon. They're an interesting group. First morning here and I was the only one up, this place kind of reminds me of summer camp (from
The Parent Trap because I never went to a real one myself) because it is so
heavily wooded and just little cabins around the campus.

Update:
Last night we drove the university van to Lime Kiln lighthouse to watch the sunset. We got there a few mins after sunset, but I did manage to get a photo of the lighthouse.

No comments: