Sunday, February 8, 2009

Outer Banks

I went to the Outer Banks last weekend. That was a fun trip. I have posted some photos below.


This photo shows the Hatteras Island's current location in the background while the granite stones in the foreground show it's original site. It was relocated in 1999 because of the eroding shoreline bringing the ocean nearly up to the base of the lighthouse.


Here is the Hatteras lighthouse up close. I would have liked to climb it but it was closed for the season. My tour book didn't say anything about the closure.


Welcome to Avon, where stress is forbidden.


This house could use some grooming.


I stopped by the site of the Wright Brothers' first flights. This photo shows the markers for their takeoff spot (far left), and their landing spots for their first three flights (on the right). I knew their first flight was only 120 feet, but I had never really thought about how far that really was. This photo shows that it really wasn't far at all. It was their fourth flight that really gave them the feeling of success, when they flew about 850 feet. That marker is too far off in the distance to be seen in this photo.


Here is a closer look at the first landing marker.


Here is the plaque noting their take-off spot for their flights.


Part of the reason their flights were short in distance but longer in duration was because of the strong head wind (30mph+). Their resulting ground speed was relatively low (probably making it a lot safer (a crash at less than 10mph isn't that scary, is it?). This photo shows the flag on the day I was there. The wind was blowing in the opposite direction on the day I visited, so the Wrights would have had a strong tailwind.

No comments: