Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Denmark - Day 3

After getting up around 7:30 this morning I made my way down to the basement gym of the visitor house. It's a bit like a hotel gym, with a few cardio-type machines, some free weights, and a couple machines for lifting weights. I lazily worked out (if at that point you could even call it working out) and then took a shower. Around 9:20 this morning we jumped on our street rods and cruised over to the University. We fetched some keys that allow us after hours access to various rooms and labs. We had lunch in the on-campus cafeteria (crab cakes, quiche, and orzo salad) and then we went to a mall for postcards, batteries, and a few other necessities. I took some photos of the campus.
The first is the chemistry building.

The next two are panorama photos are taken from the top of the Physics building, I think it is the tallest in Aarhus at 8 stories.


I took a photo of the vending machines in the building too.

Excited yet? :)
Here's a picture of the cereal seen in the small mart near the university.

That's right, guld corn! :)
After the horseplay of the photographer I thought I'd better look like I was doing something worthwhile. After failing at this, I decided to do the next best thing. Take some pictures of Den Gamle By, a mock danish town composed of 15th century (and newer buildings).
Check out how thick this thatched roof is!

Or you may want to see the waterwheel and the gears that it drives...



And lastly, before my camera died, the "secret." That's what this little room was called. It was an enclosed room with a window seat attached to the outside second story of a building. This little window seat had a special opening where Danish people would sit and drop presents on the street below. Yes, that's right, an indoor toilet with no running water, only a 10 foot drop to the sidewalk. This is the view from down below. Lucky for me (and probably everyone reading this blog) the room was unoccupied during the photograph. :)


We're still waiting on supplies from the U.S. so we're not exactly busy working, yet (the supplies arrive tomorrow--they're in Paris at the moment).

No comments: