Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Denmark - Day 2

Woke up around 9am thinking I had to hurry to catch up to the rest of group. After my quick shower I came to find that they were still struggling to get up. After some quick pieces of toast I went down to an ATM to help the lost luggage victim try to get some money out of an ATM. To no avail I gave him a loan until his family could wire money from the U.S. We came back to the guest house, grabbed a taxi and went to a bike rental place. I saw this interesting elevator on the way.


Here is a photo of us renting the bikes.

My boss is the tall one in the blue shirt, and our host Kurt has his hands in his pockets.
Another photo of the very large dog keeping an eye out for thieves (and small tasty Americans -- see the lower left).

Actually, this dog was extremely unfriendly.
We rented the bikes for 450Kr for about 1 month, that translates to about $82 U.S. Hopefully we find they're a convenient way to get about the city. So far they have proven useful and fun. We toured the campus and the labs for a short bit and then made our way to a mall to see if we could straighten out Western Union for our baggage-less companion and get calling cards for everyone else. Worked out okay.
We came back, sat around for only a few minutes, then took a cab to dinner. Great meal at what seemed like a very expensive place. I delivered a toast to our host and my boss for making the trip possible, and we all enjoyed the conversation (and house wine). :) Yes, Mom, I delivered a toast. Everyone said it was nice which left me satisfied. After dinner we walked to a bar and then had a few drinks with some grad students from our hosts' lab. We stayed about an hour, grabbed a cab back home, and here we are. Here I am anyway, blogging. I am off to bed. Good night!

No comments: